At Adelberg Montalvan Pediatric Dental, we are dedicated to providing your child with the best dental care possible. One of the specialized services our practice offers is the frenectomy procedure, a simple and effective treatment that can significantly improve your child’s oral health and overall well-being.
Our experienced team of dental professionals is committed to ensuring the comfort and safety of your child throughout the process. Below, we’ll explain what a frenectomy is, when it may be needed, how it’s performed, and why it’s essential for some children. Contact our West Islip, NY office to learn more!
WHAT IS A FRENECTOMY?
A frenectomy is a surgical procedure that involves the removal or alteration of a small band of tissue called the frenum. There are two types of frenums in the mouth—the labial frenum and the lingual frenum. The labial frenum connects the inside of the upper lip to the gums above the front teeth, while the lingual frenum connects the underside of the tongue to the floor of the mouth.
In some cases, these bands of tissue can be too tight, too thick, or poorly positioned, causing various oral health problems. A frenectomy can help alleviate these issues by releasing the tension and allowing for better movement and function.
WHEN IS A FRENECTOMY NECESSARY?
A frenectomy may be necessary for several reasons, including:
- DIFFICULTY BREASTFEEDING: A tight lingual frenum, commonly known as a tongue-tie, can make it challenging for an infant to latch on and breastfeed effectively. This can lead to inadequate weight gain and even malnutrition in some cases.
- SPEECH DIFFICULTIES: A tongue-tie can also cause speech impediments, making it difficult for a child to pronounce certain sounds and words.
- DENTAL ISSUES: A tight labial frenum, often referred to as a lip-tie, can cause a gap between the front teeth, known as a diastema. This can lead to orthodontic issues and may require treatment.
- ORAL HYGIENE: Both tongue-ties and lip-ties can make it difficult to clean the teeth and gums properly, increasing the risk of dental decay and gum disease.
HOW IS A FRENECTOMY PERFORMED?
At Adelberg Montalvan Pediatric Dental, we use the latest technology and techniques to ensure the most comfortable and effective frenectomy for your child. The procedure typically involves the following steps:
- ASSESSMENT: Our dental professionals will evaluate your child’s oral anatomy to determine if a frenectomy is necessary.
- ANESTHESIA: We use local anesthesia to numb the area, ensuring your child feels no pain during the procedure.
WHY CHOOSE ADELBERG MONTALVAN PEDIATRIC DENTAL FOR A FRENECTOMY?
Our team of skilled dental professionals has years of experience performing frenectomies on children of all ages. We understand the unique needs and concerns of our young patients and their families, and we strive to create a comfortable and supportive environment for your child’s dental care. Our state-of-the-art facility is equipped with the latest technology and materials to ensure the best possible outcome for your child’s frenectomy.
At Adelberg Montalvan Pediatric Dental, we believe that every child deserves a healthy, happy smile. A frenectomy can significantly improve your child’s oral health and overall well-being, enabling them to thrive in all aspects of their life. We understand that the thought of a surgical procedure can be daunting for both children and their parents. That’s why our compassionate and caring team is here to guide you through every step of the process, answering any questions and addressing your concerns.
Choosing Adelberg Montalvan Pediatric Dental for your child’s frenectomy means entrusting their oral health to a team of dedicated professionals who genuinely care about their well-being. We invite you to schedule a consultation with our experts today and take the first step toward a healthier smile for your child. Call today!